November 18, 2021
Although it may look like nothing, this pose plays an important role in aligning our bodies and minds. This restorative pose closes most yoga classes and gives you a chance to recover your breath, reflect, and feel the benefits of your practice. Leave ample time to enjoy it at the end of any yoga practice.
(P.S. If this pose becomes a favorite, be sure to check out yoga nidra classes.)
CORPSE POSE BENEFITS
Corpse pose has the following benefits:
- relaxes your muscles
- activates the parasympathetic nervous system
- encourages sleep
HOW TO DO CORPSE POSE
1. Come to lie down on your back.
2. Give your arms and legs ample space to splay out.
3. Let your palms face up.
4. Take inventory from your head down to your toes and relax your muscles with every breath. Don’t forget your jaw!
MODIFICATIONS FOR BEGINNERS
- Cover yourself with a blanket or put on any extra layers before relaxing into this pose. Your body temperature cools down during corpse pose so it’s nice to stay warm and relaxed.
- Add a yoga bolster behind the knees to let the lower back rest more comfortably into the mat.
- Try pressing the back of your head into the yoga mat briefly to lift your chest and relax your shoulders down away from your ears as you release back onto the mat to create more space across the chest and collarbones.